I have several clients who own annuities but don’t want to take any risk at all. A person should typically not ever have all assets in annuities but it’s hard to find additional options. In cases like this it is appropriate to look at alternatives because diversification among safe assets is just as important as diversification anywhere else.
With the standard portfolio balance of 60% risk and 40% safe, lots of people don’t want to put the entire safe allocation into annuities and some don’t want to put any. If you’re one of those picky people or if you want something a little different then this is the time to look at options you may not have seen before.
We all know the standard options like CDs and bonds but any of those are not paying much interest right now. Protecting money is one thing but earning a good yield at the same time is the trick. This is where I remind you of the advantage of my work this year to develop a network of advisors who share my vision but also offer a different set of services.
A few weeks ago I invited John Balmer on my podcast to talk about market timing. John is a registered investment advisor who uses more than just annuities as a retirement tool. We recorded another podcast because he has a few options for safe money that would work well for anyone looking to diversify or just find something that works that isn’t an annuity.
Yes, we’ll talk a little bit about the usual stuff that isn’t paying any interest these days, but John will show you an option that would work really well for solid income and asset preservation. Check out the video below while we chat about the options available as an annuity alternative.
Podcast about Annuity Alternatives
Many people want to protect money to produce income or to just accumulate but fear a long-term commitment with annuities.
The list of alternatives is about as straightforward as it gets. But there is a lot of confusion about exactly what is available and if it’s right for you.
In this episode, Bryan Anderson covers topics on retirement in relation to annuity alternatives with John Balmer, a registered investment advisor in Los Angeles to answer your questions and help you learn more.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [04:20] Different alternative investments in a low-yield environment — that are low-risk.
- [07:43] Hedging strategies in retail investments.
- [11:34] The importance of seeking professional help when choosing risky options.
- [13:13] Strategies for dividend stocks.
- [17:31] Opportunities to diversify your portfolio.
- [19:44] Should you opt for preferred shares?
- “If you’re a long bondholder, and interest rates continue to spike on you, you’re going to suffer some principal loss.” -John Balmer
- “Always seek professional help and seek professional advice from someone who knows exactly what they’re doing.” -John Balmer
- “Annuities got to play a part in it for retirement or it should anyhow, but this is again, just a diversification opportunity for people who want to protect everything, but you probably shouldn’t have all your money into annuities.” -Bryan Anderson
- “Nothing comes without risk.” -John Balmer
- “True stability can only be found in a few places. And only one of them really has any yield to it.” -Bryan Anderson
Call Annuity Straight Talk at 800-438-5121 or schedule a call at AnnuityStraightTalk.com
Last Updated on February 7, 2024 by Bryan Anderson